Some times you just want to make something quick and easy right? These vanilla cupcakes with a lemon buttercream is the answer. It’s also the perfect time to make them, with everyone staying at home with all the cold weather. The lemon buttercream is bound to add some brightness into these cold dreary days. I’m lucky to escape the cold here in Dubai, but I definitely feel for y’all out there braving the cold!
I made a simple batch of vanilla cupcakes that were super moist and soft. I wanted to keep the flavor of the cupcakes fairly simple to let the buttercream shine. For the lemon buttercream, I first made some lemon curd that I mixed into the buttercream. The end result was a tart yet creamy frosting that my husband and I kept licking off all day!
I’ve always been known to make great tasting desserts, just not never amazing in their presentation. I’m totally working on that for you guys. I wanted to frost the cupcakes similar to the way Sprinkles does theirs. Its simple and rustic. Just what this artistically challenged baker needs! 😉 The prettiest thing about these cupcakes are the little flecks of lemon zest that peek through the frosting. Top these cupcakes with berries and enjoy!
- 2½ cups flour
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 stick of butter, at room temperature
- 11/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2½ tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cups whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, soft
- 3-5 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon curd from here
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and smooth. Mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir the vanilla into the milk.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill liners about ⅔ of the way. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick interred into one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool on a wire rack. Always cool 100% before frosting.
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar, a cup at a time. Start with 3 cups and add more depending on how stiff you want it to be. Mix in the vanilla and lemon curd.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Georgetown Cupcakes